- 4 Gakko bread
- 700 g souvas – cured and smoked reindeer, thinly sliced
- 1 big white onion, sliced
- 10 junipers, crushed
- 2 tbsp butter or oil
- 3 tbs Messmör
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 100 ml sugared lingonberries
- Salt to taste
Gakko recipe (makes 10 gakko breads):
- 500 ml milk or water
- 100 ml melted butter or oil
- 25 g yeast
- 50 ml syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- 100 ml rye flower
- Approx. 1 liter wheat flour
How to do it
- Heat the milk and the melted butter to 37 degrees C.
- In a bowl, mix the warm liquid with thee syrup, salt and rye flour.
- Continue to work in the wheat flour until the dough for 5-10 minutes. Cover with a clean tea towel and let it rise for 30-40 minutes
- Kneed the dough and shape into 10 flat pancakes, approx. 25 mm in diameter. Prick them with a fork to prevent them from rising too much, and “bake” them on both sides in a dry frying pan on the stove at medium heat.
To make the souvas:
- Fry the souvas together with the white onion on a hot skillet or in a large hot pan.
- Add junipers, thyme and Messmör, salt to taste.
- Place the hot meat directly on a Gakko bread and garnish with red onion and sugared lingonberries.
This recipe was made as part of the Swedish Lapland episode.