- 500 g fresh herring fillets with skin, with fins cut off
- 200 ml breadcrumbs
- 200 ml rye flour
- 150 g butter
- 2 red onions, sliced
For the pickle marinade
- 1 litre water
- 300 ml acidic vinegar (24%)
- 500 ml caster sugar
- 1 tbsp whole allspice
- 1 tbsp salt
- 10 bay leaves
- 10 whole black pepper
How to do it
- Put the fillets together two by two with the skin side out.
- Mix breadcrumbs and rye flour. Roll the fillets in the mixture.
- Fry the fish on each side in butter until golden brown. Salt to taste.
- Place the fried herring in a bowl. Put the onion on top.
- Combine all the ingredients for the pickle marinade in a pot. Stir over medium heat until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Pour the marinade over the herring and onion and cover with cling film or a lid. Let it sit in the fridge for one week before eating.
This recipe was made as part of the Malmö episode.